Opportunities, Growth, Job Satisfaction...Join the Hydro Team.
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro is focused on delivering safe, reliable service to power our customers. We are a company of people who work hard behind the scenes for our customers, the people and businesses of this province. We pride ourselves on being strong and steady, tried and true; while innovating in our approaches to our business. We value our employees, we take care of each other, we recognize excellence, we respect individuality and we work hard to create an inclusive and welcoming workplace. People who work at Hydro feel like they’re part of a community and we give back to the communities where we live and work to make them stronger.
We’re looking for passionate and performance focused people – people who want to make a difference for our customers and who share our values.
Supervisor, Emergency Response and Security Program
Competition #: NLH-22-143
As a key part of the Emergency Response and Security Program, you will provide quality leadership and functional management of the ERP and related activities. You will maintain an effective Emergency Response Team (ERT) (staff and volunteers) and Security; Direct ERP Committee work; Conduct plant-wide hazard analysis through industry standard risk assessment techniques and failure mode effects analysis; Develop response action plans; Coordinate and schedule ERT training, drills and exercises; Maintain equipment inspections and certifications; Ensure ERP activities are compliant with safety, health and environmental regulations and guidelines; Liaise with community fire, rescue and training entities;
Maintain all ERP documentation, plant procedures and the Emergency Response Manual (ERM) and work together with Corporate support personnel to effectively implement Hydro programs related to emergency response.
- Provides training and advice on safety matters, as it pertains to emergency response, to all plant sections to ensure proper standards are met and maintained;
- Performs safety tours throughout the plant on a regular basis focusing mainly on emergency response systems, covering both in-plant and contractor work sites and reports the results to the applicable manager;
- Completes fire inspections to ensure compliance with fire prevention/protection regulations, Provincial and Federal legislation and Insurance Underwriter’s Regulations;
- Provides on-site first aid for plant employees and contractor’s staff during normal work hours;
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of capital and operating budgets related to emergency response equipment, training materials, personal protective equipment, etc.;
- Maintains central file records regarding training sessions completed by employees to update the Human Resources database;
- Co-ordinates efforts with supervisors for training schedules and the retraining of employees before certificates have expired;
- Participates in emergency response and security related seminars, conferences and training to maintain knowledge on guidelines, standards, regulations, and general preparedness information;
- Liaises with Corporate Safety & Health Department to ensure consistency of Hydro’s Emergency Response Program(s) where applicable;
- Assists the local Occupational Health & Safety Committee to resolve issues;
- Other related duties as required.
You must have High school graduation and have certification in professional NFPA 1001-Level II Fire Fighter, NFPA 1021 Fire Officer or equivalent and NFPA 1035 Fire Inspector or equivalent. University or College Technical Diploma in Emergency Management or equivalent would be an asset. A minimum of 7 years as a professional firefighter is required, with at least 3 years of supervisory experience in planning and execution of emergency response plans and administering regulatory processes the fire-fighting field. Industrial experience would be considered an asset with further NFPA qualifications in confined space and high angle rescue, as well as Hazardous spill response. Experience in managing Industrial site security. You must also posses strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to work effectively in a team environment.
CLOSING DATE: October 6, 2022
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro manages our province’s electricity system. We are a company of people who work hard behind the scenes because we know our customers are counting on us. Through our generation, transmission and distribution operations, we’re committed to meeting the needs of our customers and providing residents, businesses and communities across the province with safe, reliable power. For more information, visit www.nlhydro.com