Opportunities, Growth, Job Satisfaction...Join the Hydro Team.
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro is focused on delivering safe, reliable service to power our customers. We are a company of people who work hard behind the scenes for our customers, the people and businesses of this province. We pride ourselves on being strong and steady, tried and true; while innovating in our approaches to our business. We value our employees, we take care of each other, we recognize excellence, we respect individuality and we work hard to create an inclusive and welcoming workplace. People who work at Hydro feel like they’re part of a community and we give back to the communities where we live and work to make them stronger.
We’re looking for passionate and performance focused people – people who want to make a difference for our customers and who share our values.
Senior Supervisor – Capital Asset Accounting
Competition #: NLH-19-072
Location: St. John’s
Reporting to the Team Lead – Accounting and Reporting, you will be responsible for ensuring that the capital asset function in Hydro is best in class and that transactions are recorded in a timely and efficient manner in support of the organization’s reporting objectives. Hydro is a capital intensive business and reporting and analysis associated with capital assets is key. The Senior Supervisor is accountable for supervising and providing leadership to the capital asset team and reviewing, analyzing and approving all work for this team in a timely and effective manner. You will be accountable for setting processes for the forecasting cycle, analyzing relevant data and ensuring high quality, timely information is available to the Finance and Leadership team on a monthly basis. The Senior Supervisor is responsible for capital reporting for the external financial statements, for internal management reports, capital metric reporting as well as reporting for the Public Utilities Board (PUB).
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the capital asset team including time sheet approval and performance management;
- Execution of policies and procedures to ensure the maximum effectiveness and efficiency of the accounting processes in Hydro;
- Prepares working papers and financial statement notes to support capital assets and related accounts;
- Conducts analysis of asset removal costs;
- Builds cross functional relationships with operations and engineering to ensure financial support is provided to the business;
- Provides guidance regarding capitalization policies and ensures policies are communicated and known and adhered to;
- Reviews monthly accounting entries associated with capital assets;
- Establishes processes and timelines for the set up of capital assets and works with the business to ensure timely reporting and recording;
- Ensures timely and accurate reconciliation of capital asset information used for various groups;
- Prepares and executes monthly check lists to ensure timelines are met;
- Prepares and leads analysis on forecast variances to identify potential issues and reporting of forecast analysis and results to the finance team on a monthly basis;
- Oversees and participates in the development and maintenance of corporate tools for capital accounting;
- Conducts variance analysis for capital projects and established processes to identify project exceptions in accordance with internal and Public Utilities Board guidelines;
- Provides monthly forecasted capital expenditures to the finance team for use in cash flow projections;
- Prepares quarterly financial information for presentation to Regulator;
- Responsible for the development and monitoring of procedures and processes to ensure the integrity of financial information is maintained, and the implementation of best practices;
- Identification of process improvements, developing solutions and leading implementation;
- Responsible for replying to various requests for financial information from management, government and other organizations;
- Participation in various aspects of the GRA
- Other related duties and financial reports as required.
The ideal candidate is expected to have proven supervisory experience, strong analytical and managerial skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills complemented by the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment. You will be expected to exercise a significant level of initiative in planning, organizing and controlling work activity, handling decisions without specific direction, and directing activities of the capital asset team. The Senior Supervisor, will require a significant amount of personal resourcefulness and imagination to resolve issues, and provide recommendations for a path forward in a timely manner. As the successful candidate you will take a lead role in continuous improvement to evolve the capital asset processes to better achieve Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro’s corporate goals and objectives. An excellent knowledge of Excel and knowledge of capital accounting are key success factors in this role.
- A University Degree in Commerce or Business Administration and a recognized accounting designation (CPA) or equivalent experience;
- Previous experience in managing capital assets;
- Appropriate working knowledge of GAAP / IFRS;
- Proven supervisory experience;
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving abilities;
- Strong, team based, interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships with members the finance team;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in fast paced, deadline driven environment;
- Strong excel skills;
- Experience working with JD Edwards software systems would be beneficial.
CLOSING DATE: July 12, 2019
Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro manages our province’s electricity system. We are a company of people who work hard behind the scenes because we know our customers are counting on us. Through our generation, transmission and distribution operations, we’re committed to meeting the needs of our customers and providing residents, businesses and communities across the province with safe, reliable power. For more information, visit www.nlhydro.com.